Meet your Guide at Chiusure at 9:00am from here we begin the hike to the Monte Oliveto Maggiore Abbey. The Abbey was built around 1313. The church was built together with the adjacent cloister which is open to the public, here what catches the eye because of its undoubted beauty and its excellent state of preservation, is the cycle of Renaissance frescos which represent Saint Benedict’ life, a work of Luca Signorelli and Antonio Bazzi, known as “Sodoma”.
The hiking tour is suitable for anyone in good physical condition. A short route in parts challenging due to a rather laborious ascent once you reach the bottom of the valley. However it's worth it, given the scenarios that open up before you as you proceed and give very impressive and unique views.
It is highly recommended you wear comfortable clothes and shoes, (runners or hiking boots) to bring water, a hat, sun cream. We will cover a walking distance of 7 kilometres
, hiking for about 2:30 hours. We will be back to Chiusure around lunch time where if you wish we can organize a lunch in a typical restaurant in the village.
- Walk in one of Tuscany’s most beautiful landscape.
- Discover Chiusure a well preserved medieval village
- Visit the Abbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore and its frescoed cloister.
- Discover and learn about a territory rich with history, art, nature and culture.
- Expert English speaking hiking Guide
- Guided visit of Monte Oliveto abbey